Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The first 10K!

Yay!!!! I did it! My first official run! The 10K in Lorton, VA on September 12 2009! The feeling is like none other!
The day was perfect. We reached in time to collect our packets and warm up. I started the race really really slow. I was worried about my shin splints. I had the shin and calf sleeve on and was in my old shoes. (Am a little skeptical of the new Nikes). I guess the combination of the sleeve, old shoes, proper warm up and the ultrasound I'd done last week helped. Minimal splint pain...or rather tolerable splints I should say. The terrain was pretty hilly, I should say (or 'hillier' than I practised). But somewhere midway, I thought, it's okay...just let go and stop. But for some reason I didn't. It was nothing to do with 'saving face' or determination or anything of the kind. I just went on I guess. Good for me!
I badly wanted to finish the race within the hour. Even during the practice runs, it never occurred to me to go beyond 60mins. But I finished in 61:23. So a little disappointing, but very satisfying I should say. Hey! You got to see where I come from. A little शाबाशी certainly is due. :)
Madhura and I finished at exactly the same time.
And this thing IS addictive. I cannot wait for the next one. Where? When? Did not register as yet.
Just for posterity, here's a snapshot of the results:
A nice sumptuous breakfast followed by good sleep and a movie in the evening with wife and friends. Nice!

2 comments:

  1. Buddy, you got 12th place!!!. Wow!. Good good. Keep Running, not Keep walking (Johny walker :)).

    On other (funny)side, if you were to run here in Bangalore, for 61 mins.. we would be together in the middle of the herd!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Ravi. Though at present I am not looking at competing. Just happy with the fact that I am able to stick to a routine.
    Well...'walking' is always an option. :-)

    ReplyDelete