Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Ubuntu

The last few days and weekends have found me busy trying to set up and getting Ubuntu running on my new machine. Am pretty excited about getting the new laptop. Not so much for the new machine, but more so because I really wanted to try my hand at Linux. It always scared and perplexed me seeing and hearing people talk about linux this and linux that. So I found Ubuntu is an open source Linux based OS. I had given it a shot on Madhura's lappy earlier in the year but it just didn't fly then. The internet was off and I didn't have the patience to work on fixing it.
Anyways, now that I have my new playground, I installed Ubuntu 9.04, or Jaunty Jackalope, as that version is called. Now when I state 'installed', it really wasn't as simple as that. Spent a whole weekend reading up on the requirements and preping up. Created a backup of the Vista from the 'recovery drive' (D:) that HP had already created. Talked to a few people on how and what needs to be done. Not that it was much help. But I couldn't keep researching forever. Had to get my feet wet. 
So took the plunge and installed Ubuntu. That was on Sept 25th. Friday when I was my myself at home. First run, the installation failed! Disk error! I just wiped the disk clean and re-ran it. Success! 


Initial problems:
  1. No sound, no video
  2. Not able to see all my windows folders (music, videos, photos)
  3. Pidgin (Ubuntu's IM client) not picking up my gtalk contacts
  4. A slew of other not-so-important thingies (or so I think)
I was almost on the verge of giving up again. Hemant prodded me on. Installed Kubuntu too! I didn't like that either. So switched back to Ubuntu. 
Read up on mounting drives, and tweaked the system based on the forums advice and tips.
Yesterday! Finally I decide...I like it! It doesn't sound or look so overwhelming now. I should say its been fun so far.  And come to think of it, the solutions to all the above mentioned problems were so simple! Doesn't that always happen? 

Will post more info and tips as I go along on Ubuntu how-tos.
Meanwhile, for those who are reading this, give it a shot. I promise it will be a good ride. Its nice to have 'control'. Somehow Ubuntu makes me feel that ways. And I love it.  :-)
All you need is approx 5-10GB space on your drive. 512MB RAM is more than enough. If nothing else, try the LiveCD option. It is a great way to just see the system without installing it. Amazing concept! And ALL that great stuff on there is free. As they say, "free as in free speech, not free beer". Very true. But still, it doesn't cost anything to install it. I take that back. No dollars. But your time - yes. So it is not 'free', if you know what I mean. You will not lose your good ol' Windows. If you find it too difficult keeping up with Ubuntu, fret not. Dual boot will get you back to Windows and life will be as it was earlier. Go ahead, give it a shot. Atleast then, you could have said, "I tried Ubuntu." :-)
It has come a long way from what people construe Linux as. The user interface is very very appealing. And its safe. No more viruses, malware, spyware. "What about my documents/photos/music that I played on Windows?", there are a slew of open source applications that come preinstalled with Ubuntu. OpenOffice for MS Office, Rhythmbox for your music and videos, GIMP for your photos. All these applications have come a long way from the days gone by when most of them were really messed up. And best of all, I believe, your computer does not 'slow down' as time passes. That, in my case, time will tell.
There are thousands of developers out there tuning and making Ubuntu the way it is now. Some day, I hope to contribute as well.
Post me any questions you have and I will surely try my best to answer them. I am still a newbie. But try, I shall.

No comments:

Post a Comment